I started working for myself in 2006, after more than 15 years working for other people in the private, government and non-profit sectors.
I had some fantastic – and challenging! – jobs, including:
- Managing conferences for medical, legal, engineering and other industry
- Managing a team of 6 to run all the events for Microsoft in Australia
- Working with a brilliant team as marketing manager of the 2000 Brisbane Festival (one of THE best jobs ever)
- Developing campaigns to educate Queensland consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities for a heap of different legislation including Liquor Licensing, Fair Trading, buying and selling real estate, introduction agents, product safety and loads more.
I figured there had to be more to life than working for other people and not having enough days off for holidays, to play with my niece, to go out for lunch, to cook, to read, and to do all the other stuff I love to do. After a bit of soul searching, a few alcohol fuelled discussions with my partner and various friends, and the correct alignment of the moon and the stars, Mel Kettle Consulting was open for business!
The last 12 (!!!) years have been amazing. I am very grateful to have worked with so many wonderful people, and for the enormous support of so many more. Thank you all.
I am a big believer in personal and professional learning and growth, whether it is via formal education or through keeping up to date with the latest industry trends and changes. In terms of formal education, I have a Bachelor of Arts (Tourism Management) and a Master of Business (Marketing). In 2012, because I had a rush of blood to the brain, I went back to uni to study for a Master of Public Health (I graduated in July 2014).
Today I want to focus working with clients who share my values – integrity, curiosity, kindness, fun and health.
Membership Committee and Board experience:
- International Association of Business Communicators, Qld(2015-2017)
- Secretary, Board of The Queensland Choir (2010-2012)
- Deputy Chair and National Communications Coordinator, War Child Australia (2002-2010)
I am open to being approached to sit on another Board.
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Professional Speakers Australia [Professional Member]
The social stuff
My other loves in life are cooking (and eating), travel, photography, reading, listening to music, and (of course) my gorgeous partner Shaun.
And yes, I took all the photos on this site. Except for the non-selfie ones of me. Obviously.